I heard about Beauty Counter right after it launched and many of the paleo bloggers I follow online were becoming consultants. I’ve tried out a lot of their products over the past few years and wanted to pass along my thoughts in case you are interesting in trying anything out. Their products are not cheap by any means, but typically a little goes a long way. Hopefully my reviews can help you narrow down what to start off with to see if you like it!
If you haven’t already heard of it, Beauty Counter is a company that provides safer skin and hair care products in an effort to reduce our exposure to harmful or toxic chemicals. According to their website, while other countries in the European Union have banned 1,300 chemicals from their products, the United States has only partially banned 30. Beauty Counter steps it up with a “never list” of 1,500 questionable or harmful chemicals that it will never use in any of its products.
My Favorite Beauty Counter Products
- Balancing Face Oil – I swear by this oil! I use it every night and sometimes also in the morning when my skin is dry in the winter. This is my must have and my #1 recommendation!
- Charcoal Cleansing Bar – This would be my #2 recommendation. I use this face soap to wash my face every night. It’s not always great at getting mascara off, but it’s good enough for me. I love that it doesn’t leave your face feeling super dry afterwards. Honestly, I don’t travel anywhere without this soap and the face oil.
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer – I use this as my “makeup” for daily use. It’s pretty light coverage, so it won’t cover up any pimples or discoloration you have. However, it does gives your skin a more even tone and it doesn’t feel like you have anything on. Plus it has SPF so you don’t need to worry about sun protection.
- Balancing Facial Mask – this is great for spot treating breakouts (practically dries them up overnight!). It comes in a pretty small tube but I’ve had mine for a year probably and still have a lot left, since I only put it on spots and rarely cover my whole face.
- Daily Shampoo & Daily Conditioner – I have pretty frizzy, coarse hair and this shampoo/conditioner set seems to keep it pretty under control. I only wash my hair twice a week since it is so dry and not oily at all, and these bottles have lasted me 6 months so far. I like the citrus smell, but I’m still not sure if I will purchase again once I’m out.
- Hand Lotion – I like the lotion since it doesn’t feel greasy at all and it has a really nice citrus smell. I put it on every night before bed. Is it better than any other hand lotion? It doesn’t work miracles but it is free of parabens and leaves your hands soft.
- Lip Balm – again, not sure if you’ll be able to tell the difference between this and another chap stick, but it is silky smooth and contains SPF. I put it on almost every day.
- Baby Gentle All-Over Wash – I really like this baby wash! It leaves the skin feeling super soft, it smells so good, and hasn’t left Max’s skin dry or itchy.
- Baby Cleansing Diaper Rash Cream – I’ve only tried this once when Max’s bottom was starting to get a little red, and it was back to normal overnight! I still have more testing to do, but it seems to be well worth the investment.
Other Products I’ve Tried
- Sunscreen – this seemed to do the job as I didn’t get sunburned, but I did break out a little bit the next day on my face. It was more like clogged pores than a true breakout, but I know it was from the sunscreen.
- Blush – I tried this in the Hibiscus color and to be honest, I didn’t like it. I may stick with Nars blush forever. The cream blush went on too heavy even when I tried the lightest of application. Also, I just wasn’t feeling the color. I’ve used this more as a lipstick than as a blush.
- Lengthening Mascara – I didn’t like this mascara at all. I got is for free with an order and I used it a few times before throwing it away. I’m picky about mascara, but this didn’t make my lashes stand out – no lengthening or volumizing at all.
- Body Oil – I used this the past winter when my skin was really dry and it worked really well. I’ve tried other body oils and haven’t liked them because it left a greasy feeling. This one really soaks in and leaves your skin feeling soft. I will probably buy this again.
- Baby Soothing Oil – I haven’t given this a try yet, but since I love the adult face and body oils so much, I’m guessing I’ll like this one for baby just as much.
- Smooth & Control Shampoo and Conditioner – this is one of the new hair care lines that just launched. I tried the Smooth & Control line and it did seem to help with my frizz and curls, but I didn’t like the scent as much as the scent of the Daily Shampoo and Conditioner.
I used to have pretty bad, acne prone skin, and my skin has done a 180 after using Beauty Counter products for the past two years. I’m considering writing a post about my skin care routine and what I did to get rid of my acne. Let me know if you would find that helpful! Now that I’ve fixed my acne, I’m also trying to be much more conscious about what I put on my skin since Max is touching it and trying to put everything in his mouth.
If you’re interested in buying any products, my friend Karri Tait is a Beauty Counter consultant and can help answer any questions, provide samples of products you may be considering, and help you place orders. You can also shop with her via www.beautycounter.com/karritait. Her socials are also a great place to try out samples and ask about products you may be considering before pulling the trigger.
You may also consider becoming a Band of Beauty Member, in which you pay a yearly membership fee but receive rewards credits for every purchase (15% of each order) that you can then put towards future purchases. The membership fee has more than paid for itself, but as you can see I buy a LOT of products 🙂 . Happy shopping!